Update: This opportunity is now open to STEM women based anywhere in WA, who are able to make their own way to Bunbury on 17th March. Formal transport may be arranged from Perth, depending on final volunteer numbers. Nominations will be closing on Wendesday 28th February. We are particularly interested in hearing from women working in the following fields:
- Pure sciences & research (biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy)
- Geologists and other applied scientists
- IT, software, coding and data science
Session times available are:
- 10am – 11:30am (3 more volunteers required)
- 12pm – 1:30pm (2 more volunteers required)
- 2pm – 3:30pm (2 more volunteers required)
We are pleased to announce that The Innovators’ Tea Party will be heading to Bunbury on Saturday March 17th 2018, with the aim of promoting the amazing work of WA women working in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) to local high school girls.
Our Bunbury event will consist of several separate speed-networking sessions throughout the day. Each session runs for 1.5 hours and during this time students meet 12 different Women in STEM Mentors. Mentors have 6 minutes to tell students (who attend in groups of 1-2) all about their job and answer any questions they might have, before students move on to the next mentor.
We are currently recruiting a team of women who would like to volunteer their time to be mentors at this event. This is an excellent opportunity for the following reasons:
- Professional Development: Practice communicating your research or role in simple terms to a younger audience.
- Networking: Our Women in STEM Mentors come from a range of different STEM fields and industries, and all of them are passionate about promoting STEM careers to high school girls. We’ll be bringing you all together at the end of the event.
- Give Back: This is a fantastic way to give back to the local community and give our next generation of leaders an insight into the infinite possibilities of a STEM career.
- Recognition: As a Women in STEM Mentor, we will be profiling the amazing work you do not only to students, but also to the wider community. Your career profile will be printed in our event program, and we will be showcasing as many of our mentors as possible on our website, LinkedIn and Facebook pages. Showcasing your work and achievements is an integral part of what we do as a not-for-profit.
We will be building our mentor team from as many different STEM fields & industries as possible. Mentors will range from young professionals just embarking on their careers, to managers and technical experts with decades of experience.
Ready to apply? If you are a woman who’s career has been centred in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths please follow the link below to apply to be a mentor at The Innovators’ Tea Party Bunbury:
Not available this date but still keen? There will be more volunteering opportunities across WA throughout 2018 – join our volunteers register.